Monday, April 4, 2011

Miles is missing Papa and Lola!

Two nights ago Miles was having a horrible time going to sleep. I think he was severely over-tired, but he was a wreck - screaming and crying and completely unwilling to get into bed and go to sleep.
I tried rocking him, telling stories, etc, etc. Nothing was working. I tried to sing - which they usually love (especially because they each have their "own" song) - but that night Miles would have none of it. I said, "Miles. What is wrong? What do you need?  What do you want?"
His reply: "Sing Papa Lola song."
Okay, I have NO idea what that is. I mean, like most moms, I know my kids "codes" for stuff. When they say, "Tell us Huff and Puff" I know they want the Three Little Pigs. When they ask for "Monkey Treats" I know they want fruit snacks, because the first kind Luke ever had were the Curious George kind and that has been their official name ever since. I knew that when Miles was younger and made this very distinctive sound with his tongue and cheek - what he wanted was his motorcycle (because that's how they sound). 
This is not even a code that I am aware of.
However, being desperate - I decided to make up a song about my parents, Papa and Lola. Yeah, it was really something brilliant. It went a little like this: 
"Oh Miles, Papa and Lola love you! They mi-i-ss you so muuuch! Papa likes you to clap with him and Lola likes to bite your toes. Papa plays the air guitar and Lola pulls you on the blanket. Oh, Miles! How they miss you and wish they could see you right now!"
Ha! Oh yeah. This is one singer who will NOT be up for any Grammy's or Tony's for songwriting.
B-U-T, it was magical for Miles. He was mesmerized and quiet and calmed and I could see that just talking about Papa and Lola and things they did together made him happy. Pretty easy to see: screaming/hysterical child - now calm/peaceful child.

It made me miss them so much and I cried a little bit for me and for Miles.











No comments:

Post a Comment