Friday, August 7, 2009

Lessons in Piggy Banking


Luke has been getting into a bad habit of asking for things - things that cost money. ( I hope this isn't an indicator of things to come . . . ) He's three, so we know he doesn't really get the concept of money and how much things cost yet. However, he loves coins. If he finds one in the laundry room, on the street, in my diaper bag, etc, etc - he asks if he can have it. He likes to play with them or just put them in his pocket. (He loves to put just about ANYTHING in his pocket!) So, Jacob and I decided that it couldn't hurt to try and start teaching him about money and what it's used for. We got him a piggy bank at the dollar store and told him that that is where he can put his coins. He LOVES putting his "pennies" into his piggy bank.We also told him that if he saves enough coins he could get something he wants. Generally a Happy Meal or a Disney Cars car are the things he asks for the most. (Even though I don't even like McDonalds! I guess kids just get the idea from other kids!)
Yesterday I had to go to the bank. So, Jacob suggested I take Luke - and his piggy bank - with me and turn in his coins for cash. You know, further the learning experience. After I finished my business with the teller, I asked her to help us with Luke's "banking needs" as well. She grinned. Together we opened the bank and dumped out the coins onto the counter. Luke was in awe. Seriously. He watched her every move in silence. She counted the money and then handed her little customer his $3.30 in his very own sealed envelope. We walked outside and he said, "This MY money, mommy?" I assured him it was. I asked if he wanted to save it at home - or get a car or a Happy Meal with it. He eagerly said, "Car!" Then after a moment of thought, "No! I want a Happy Meal!" (Sigh.) Maybe our next lesson can be in the value of SAVING our money. However, I have to say it was ADORABLE watching him carefully rip open that envelope and give the cashier his money (dollar by dollar) for his dinner. He really enjoyed that meal and mentioned that HE bought it while he was eating. Funny. I guess you can't underestimate the value of a dollar.

5 comments:

  1. $3.30 is a lot of spare change for a 3 year-old! I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. He gets a lot of help from Daddy's pockets at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading all the funny stories about Luke! What a funny little boy!

    ReplyDelete